Thursday, June 25, 2009

Change by me

Are you single?" the man on the second floor said. I had come in to renew my Jordanian passport, and for that, I had to go to the legislative court mainly to get a bunch of signatures, moving from one clerck to the next, until I was stopped by this man.

"Why you want to marry me?" I thought.

"This paper is missing a signature. If you are single, you have to have your father sign this paper, or bring a paper from the church. Otherwise your husband should sign it," he explained.

"I am 24 years old. I live by myself. I know how to handle bills, groceries, cars and pretty soon people's lives, is this not enough to be considered an adult?"

There was no arguing with law. In the States, I was considered an adult many years ago. In East Jerusalem, until I am married, I belong to my father. After marriage, I belong to my husband. I sat on the side, waiting for my father to arrive.

The room had women, in their thirties and forties perhaps, with their heads covered, wearing jilbab, and holding children, or screaming at other children. Their husbands were with them. It would seem that my role as a woman is to have my head covered, be married, raise children while my husband signs papers for me.

Men younger than me got their signatures quickly and moved to the next clerk. Apparantly, I can do many things by myself, but I dont have a penis. Should something be changed in the Jordanin law? Or should I get married to fulfill the expected role?

No comments: